KKAWF – Pakistan
Karim Khan Afridi Welfare Foundation
The Karim Khan Afridi Welfare Foundation (KKAW) was established in 2015 in Islamabad (Pakistan) to raise awareness about the harmful consequences of drug abuse for people, their families and the society as a whole. The foundation also intends to play a catalytic role for the youth and the communities where they live, while urging the federal and provincial authorities to engage politically in addressing the challenges of drug trafficking and the spread of substance abuse.
The Karim Khan Afridi Foundation (KKAW) was launched in June, 2015, after Mrs. Cristina Von Sperling Afridi and her husband lost their son, aged 19. Since then, the Foundation has pledged to raise awareness of the dangers of substance abuse and addiction among the population, and more particularly the youth – almost 66% of population of Pakistan is below the age of 25.
The Karim Khan Afridi Foundation in 2018
Employees and volunteers
Over 5,000 people
Have been served by the activities developed by KKWF in 2018 including awareness campaigns and workshops and sports events.
Main Activities in 2018
- Community Awareness and Prevention Campaign on Drug Abuse on World Drug Day
- Organization of the Save Tomorrow 3 event within the Pakistani Sports Board: activities for the youth and organization of a rugby match
- Outreach sessions in schools and campuses
Impact on the Sustainable Development Goals
3.4 By 2030, reduce by one third premature mortality from non-communicable diseases through prevention and treatment and promote mental health and well-being.
3.5 Strengthen the prevention and treatment of substance abuse, including narcotic drug abuse and harmful use of alcohol.
Spheres of interest
- Create theater plays revolving around drug abuse and its consequences
- Organize and conduct training programmes on these issues for teachers
- Promote the inclusion of drug awareness courses in academic syllabus
- Increase community’s awareness on the misuse of prescription drugs
Environment and Sports
- Create awareness for a healthier environment
- Clean-up drives, tree plantations and other related activities with local schools
- Engage sports complexes to implement similar youth programmes
- Promote mandatory participation in sports at school for each child
- Organize inter-school sports competitions
Arts, Culture and Civic Sense
- Engage youth in artistic and cultural activities
- Provide opportunities to youth in these fields
- Promote and initiate the utilization of dedicated air time (TV, radio) for social causes
- Implement actions to de-glamorize the use of drugs
The Karim Khan Afridi Welfare Foundation produced its first theater play performance dedicated to raise awareness of the consequences of drug abuse, ’19, a Shattered Dream’. More than 2000 Students from different educational institutions watched the play for three days.
Some of the projects or activities currently running in KKAWF – Pakistan
Some populations are more vulnerable to Covid-19, including people who use drugs and those who are trying to overcome their...Read more
According to the Karim Khan Afridi Welfare Foundation there is an urgent need to fund large-scale addiction prevention programmes in...Read more